Day 5: What happens when Allie is left unsupervised...

So the other day I wanted to see what was going on under the floor in the kitchen. You know, because that loose flap of linoleum was just sitting there, hanging there over the edge of the stairs, taunting me. That one was so easy to pull up, so I grabbed my trusty crowbar and pulled up the 3/4 inch of particle bard. Under that were dark tiles with a thick paper/tar backing, then wood subfloor. Hmmm... not the pristine, finished wood floors I was hoping for.

After a bit of googling, I realized I'd probably uncovered the original asbestos tiles installed in the early part of the last century. Oops. Well, at least I didn't crumble it up my hands and sniff it!

So a call to asbestos remediation later...and yeah, it's hard core asbestos. I'm going to have them remove it rather than just covering it up again.

So in other news that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I got all the drop ceiling down in the kitchen.

Pictures:
1. Asbestossy mess
2. Drop ceiling ugliness
3. Oooh. Eight feet of exposed wall beauty.

What I learned:
When in doubt, wear the respirator.

Posted by Picasa

0 comments: