"What evil lurks behind drop ceilings," or, "Oh, that's why they did that."


I loathe drop ceilings.
I don't know why. Maybe it's because I associate them with office buildings or finished basements. But I knew I didn't want them in my house. Luckily, there are only two offending rooms in the house: the kitchen and the little room off the dining room which I plan to make my library. I could say that it's going to be "the den" or "the office", but "the library" just sounds sweet. And those 14 boxes of books in the storage unit have to go somewhere.
So today I took all the drop-ceiling tiles out so I could see just what was going on behind the scenes. The kitchen wasn't too bad, other than one corner that had some water damage. It looks like old damage, but I'll check with Brad-the-awesome-contractor tomorrow to make sure. I was happy there's electric in the ceiling where I wanted it. The ceiling was likely put up in 1980, based on the pristine extra tile sitting up there, wrapped in 1980 newspaper. Did you know that Jimmy Durante died?












The library is a little more problematic. From what I can tell, the ceiling and wood paneling went in around the same time. The paneling only goes up to the drop ceiling; above that is some iffy plaster/wallboard and plaster lathe. I'm guessing this remodel also put in the upstairs bathroom (PVC pipe). I'll get the real scoop from Brad on what's to be done tomorrow.

0 comments: