My second job: stripping

I've been at it with the heat gun, stripping the layers of paint off of the woodwork downstairs. Taking all the plaster walls down had the advantage of forcing the removal of all the baseboards...that was extra work in the short term, but will allow me to strip most of the moldings after I've moved in.

Before I get in there, I need to strip the few moldings that are left on the main level. I'm starting with any that touch the wood floor that will be finished in the next 2 weeks.

These first pics are of the living room baseboard moldings. I've stripped the paint and done a first round with the orbital sander on the large/flat area.

The third pic is the newel post on the stairway - it's amazing how much detail there is with the paint removed.

While the drywallers were working late, I finished putting together the kitchen cabinets together. They're just hanging out, waiting to go in!

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I accidentally ran across your blog doing a Google image search for stain colors. I also have an old house in Seattle that I have done lots of work to, including the dreaded paint stripping of all the woodwork. I love the stain color you picked for the floor! Do you remember the brand and color? I will be sanding my floors soon and would love to get the same look you did. Thanks, you are doing a hero job on your house. Robert

Allie said...

Hi Robert,

I found a wood floor sample I loved & they matched it at Sherwin-Williams. I think the formula is on the top of the can; let me know if you'd like me to find it for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Allie,

Here is a website that you may be interested in. It is another old house restoration site. They are using an infrared paint stripper on the woodwork. I actually built one and have been using it on my house. It takes 95% of the paint off of flat woodwork. You will still need to use a final coat of stripper to get the last bit of paint off. You will also save a lot of money on the cost of the liquid stripper. http://www.oceanmanorhouse.com/?page=paintremover

Robert

Anonymous said...

Allie,

I would appreciate you finding the Sherwin-Williams stain formula for the color of your floors. Thanks for the help!

Robert

Allie said...

Hi Robert,

I'll look for the Sherwin-Williams can tonight.

Allie said...

Robert, here is the code off the Sherwin-Williams can:

BAC COLORANT OZ 32 64 128
B1-Black 2 24 - -
R4-New Red - 8 - -
R2-Maroon - 16 - -
R3-Magenta - 8 - -

Hope that helps!

I've seen those IR paint strippers - they look SO cool! Was making one difficult? I saw a schematic for building one, but it seemed pretty complicated.

Allie said...

Oops - my columns didn't line up when i submitted.

Under the "OZ" heading, just the # 2 for black, under "32" is 24 black, 8 new red, 16 maroon, 8 magenta.

Also, this was on a "one gallon - chestnut" can of "wiping stain".

Anonymous said...

Hi Allie,

Wow, thanks for posting the stain formula. I can't wait to get to Sherwin Williams this weekend to get some mixed and try it out. Thanks so much for your efforts!

Don't feel like you can't build one of the IR paint strippers yourself. Use this link as he has already itemized all of the parts you would need to assemble a unit. http://www.oceanmanorhouse.com/?page=paintremover

I think he lists his material costs as about $110 total. You can go through that much stripper in no time. I think the commercial units are over well over $300 and they don't do any better job than a home built one.

I'll keep you posted on how the stain color turns out.

Robert