3 down, 2 more to go!

I plugged away at the 3rd section of Blackbird Design's Mystery Bonus sampler, finishing it this morning. I learned something new about historical samplers when trying to figure out why there was no letter "J" charted on the sampler. Poking around the interwebs, I learned that prior to the mid 1700s, "U" and "J" weren't commonly used and were often left off of samplers. I thought that was kind of a cool explanation, so I modified the chart a little more and removed the "U", filling the space by making the "W" full size instead of over-one as charted.
Next up in my stitchy rotation is the Beatrix Potter sampler...so that will be fun to work on this week!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Laura said...

I didn't know that about antique samplers either. The BBD Mystery Sampler just keeps looking better and better each time I see it.

Margie said...

It's looking great! You know, while I knew that there was no J in antique samplers, some how I missed that this one didn't have one. :-) I guess I don't sing my ABC's when I stitch. :-)

Siobhan said...

Your Mystery looks wonderful! I enjoyed my look around your blog. Love your Quaker WIP, too!