Check out my backside (c:

Reading through the October issue of Just Cross Stitch, I came across an article on the neatness and "correct" techniques for the backs of projects. It started off with a quiz on how neat you keep your backs with everything from "I don't care" to "the front should look just like the back". I think mine are pretty tidy, but I don't really care unless it's something that's meant to be reversible. So I was kind of surprised that somebody might want the front to look just like the back, or would feel embarrased if another stitcher or family member looked at the back.

The article went on to detail how you should properly start/end threads (which I generally follow). Their rules for carrying or travelling threads were much more Draconian: No more than 3 stitches distance! Never carry over an unstitched area!


I take those "more like guidlines, really" to quote Pirates of the Caribbean, and for confetti stitches, I'll run under a bunch of completed work for what the JCS author would find obscene distances. (c:

I like suggestions for how to make my work better, but the hard and fast rule making rubs me the wrong way. I still remember the leader at my first EGA meeting, who looked at something I had nearly finished, said (quite seriously) "Now you should go back through the chart and make sure that each square was stitched exactly as charted and fix any errors." Yeah lady, I'll get right on that. The main "tree" section of that piece (left)had a million colors of green - like it was going to make a big deal if Green #10 was stitched in one square that Green #11 should have been!


Oh well, I'll keep stitching for my own enjoyment...and if my hypothetical grandkids toss my stitching because of the incorrectly carried threads or messy backs, so be it. (Not to say I wouldn't haunt them from my grave!!!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your title for this post...
I agree with you on stitching as you see fit. If it looks beautiful on the front then thats all that matters. I still knot my threads at the beginning and some "experts" would probably have me shot but you can not tell by seeing the front of the design (I do keep the back fairly neat, though I would not be able to do model stitching). Also whenever there has been an error in my stitching and I need to frog, I only do so if the error part makes a difference in the design, I have often left my errors and rearranged a few things to make it work and noone has ever noticed.